Waste Wise Turns the Volume Up on Waste Management Solutions. Join in
The need for real, actionable, sustainable expertise on waste solutions is critical in both developing and developed economies. However, practical expertise has been slow to spread.
Thought leadership is concentrated in only a few parts of the world and the current methods of sharing expertise and knowledge such as, dense and lengthy reports and global conferences are limited in their ability to reach a wide variety and number of stakeholders. Many people lack access to the global conferences on waste solutions; time, financial resources, level of literacy and language, and lack of credentials get in the way of participation in global idea exchanges.
Enter Waste Wise, a simple and innovative idea. Waste Wise plans to conduct online video panels with experts from across the waste spectrum using Google+ Hangouts, broadcast them live, and then publish content for ready use by decision makers, policy analysts, experts and advocates. By using 21st century tools it shares expertise globally; opening up high-quality, leading edge thinking to those who have not had access to this expertise, while also eliminating the environmental and financial costs of global conferences. The Internet, streaming video and, specifically, Google+ Hangout are powerful and scalable methods to effectively address the scope of today’s waste challenges through sharing solutions.
What does Waste Wise aim to accomplish:
1) To provide a nearly zero cost, zero environmental impact solution to sharing leading edge thinking on waste management.
2) To bring together though leaders, industry experts, and others in the field to share their knowledge and bring about a discussion on the various topics.
Waste Wise is the brainchild of Katrina Mitchell (Co-Founder of Waste Wise and Strategist, Planner and Researcher at Katrina Mitchell LLC.) and Ranjith Annepu (Advisor- Sustainable Waste Resources International on solid waste management and Coordinator of the Waste-to-Energy Research and Technology Council (WTERT) – India at Columbia University), who are driven to connect waste management needs to the technological solutions available.
The first series of panels will run weekly in July and August of 2013. The final product is an online repository of these recorded panels (edited down to short segments), including the complete context for the videos: full transcripts, a space for dialog, summary and background, panelist bios, and any sources or resources referenced during the panel.
Schedule (all times are Eastern US, -4:00 GMT)
1) Recycling in North American cities (July 10, 2:00pm – 2:45pm)
2) Compatibility between recycling and waste-to-energy (July 17, 2:00pm – 2:45pm)
3) Entrepreneurship in Solid Waste Management (July 24, 2:00pm – 2:45pm)
4) Managing plastic waste and mitigating the garbage patches (July 31, 2:00pm – 2:45pm)
5) Integrating the informal waste recycling sector in Latin America (August 7, 2:00pm – 2:45pm)
6) Solid waste management and climate change (August 14, 11:00am – 11:45am)
7) Solving the global waste management challenge (August 21, 11:00am – 11:45am)
The line of topics and panelists is very interesting and timely. Priti Ambani of Ecopreneurist (that’s me!) will be moderating the panel on business opportunities in the waste management and it surely will be an interesting conversation. Join us in July and August.
Follow the conversation on Twitter: @bewastewise and #wastewise
Like the page on Facebook!« The Paradigm Project to Revolutionize Distribution of Energy Efficient Products in Developing Countries 3 Steps to Great Content Marketing For Green Brands »