Published on April 2nd, 2014 | by Derek Markham0
Green Business Ideas: Eco Concierge Service and Relocation Specialist
Are you the type of person who enjoys acquainting new neighbors with the green amenities near you, and introducing people to the local green scene? Do you like to educate people on local sustainability initiatives and projects that can help make their lives a bit more eco-friendly?
Then this green business idea might be for you, as it lets you do what you do naturally, such as living a green lifestyle, while helping others to find the earth-friendly features of your community.
1. What is an Eco Concierge and Relocation Specialist Company?
Have you ever moved to a new place where you didn’t know too many people? Now contrast that to a time when you moved to a new place where you happened to have a lot of friends who were intelligent, fun, green, and a lot like you? How much better did you enjoy the second experience? An eco concierge company provides that soft landing for people relocating. In essence, newcomers learn all the great, green stuff to do in their new town, from someone who is an expert in the local green scene. Want to know where the best organic farmer’s market is? An organic foods co-op? Best vegetarian restaurant? The best great organic cafe to hang out in? Where to get a shirt dry cleaned at a green dry cleaner? What about the best road bike rides?
There is almost no limit to the knowledge of sustainable activities that some of us take for granted after we’ve spent years accumulating them from a wide variety of sources and long hours of research. Encapsulating this into an on-demand report for newcomers will help make them more sustainable more quickly, and make them feel right at home. It will also drive business to your favorite locally owned green businesses and stimulate your local green economy.
There are a couple of trends that will create ongoing work for you and success for your business. First, there are 41 million Americans who describe themselves as LOHAS people, concerned about health and sustainability. Second, according to the latest U.S. Census information, approximately 17 million people relocate each year outside of their county. Making these people’s lives easy by providing them the community they’re looking for is like a giant sustainability welcome mat that you roll out in front of them.
2. What required knowledge or skills are necessary?
As mentioned above, you need to have several years experience in your local green scene in order to have credibility to offer newcomers so that they will pay you for your services. You need to be able to provide accurate and up-to-date information, so you need to be organized and diligent.
3. How much money is required to start?
$ (on a scale of $ to $$$$$) Like many consulting and service businesses, an eco concierge and relocation specialist business can be run from your kitchen table if you like, so it doesn’t have to cost a lot of money to get started.
4. What is the income potential?
$$-$$$ (on a scale of $ to $$$$$)
5. What is the best location for an Eco Concierge and Relocation Specialist Business?
Location is not a crucial factor for beginning this business, although areas with more green businesses will have more to offer to people relocating there.
6. The best questions to ask yourself to find out if this business is right for you (if you can answer yes to all four, this business might be for you):
- Do you have an in-depth knowledge of your local green scene?
- Do you have an understanding of the Lifestyle of Health and Sustainability (LOHAS)?
- Are you a good networker who can get the word out about your not-so-typical service?
- Are you in a position where you can start a business that might take 10-20 hours per week and not pay very much, at least for the near term?