Green Business Ideas: Eco Friendly Pool and Spa Cleaning and Maintenance
As the weather continues to warm, more homeowners and businesses are getting their pools and spas ready for heavy use, and it could be a great time to start a green business that addresses the needs of those pool owners.
This green business idea capitalizes on the tendency for many pool and spa owners to outsource the maintenance of them to someone else, and the growing trend of seeking out greener and more eco-friendly maintenance methods.
1. What is an eco-friendly pool and spa cleaning and maintenance service?
Conventionally, pools and spas have been serviced by companies using harsh chemical cleansers. As many people become more aware of the health effects and environmental effects of these chemicals, a market is emerging for eco-entrepreneurs to create a green business around servicing pools and spas using alternative maintenance methods that do not require clients (or, perhaps more importantly for you) workers to be exposed to these chemicals and the vapors they emit (often referred to as off-gasses or volatile organic compounds – VOCs).
2. What required knowledge or skills are necessary?
There are no formal educational or training requirements for this job. However, the work is strenuous and requires that the worker be able to be on their feet for extended periods of time, be well-organized, a good ‘people person’, and be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
3. How much money is required to start?
$-$$ (on a scale of $ to $$$$$)
4. What is the income potential?
$$-$$$ (on a scale of $ to $$$$$)
5. What is the best location for a pool and spa cleaning and maintenance business?
The location you start this business is unimportant, so long as you and your equipment are mobile and can get to your customers’ houses. However, the grand majority of your customers are likely to be in the suburbs, so to minimize your transportation time, it may be best if you also live in the suburbs.
6. Three best questions to ask yourself to find out if this business is right for you (if you can answer yes to all three, this business might be for you):
- Do you get satisfaction from cleaning things?
- Do you live in a place where many people have pools (hot climates like Florida) and spas (winter getaways like ski resort towns)?
- Do you work well by yourself (this job will likely have you maintaining several properties per day, but not necessarily interacting with anyone, as many homeowners will be gone during the day)?
[Image: julien haler]