Business top-10-twitter

Published on February 3rd, 2009 | by Maryanne Conlin

Top 10 in Green You Should Follow on Twitter

Facebook Twitter Email Linkedin Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Plusone

The idea for this story actually came to me from our writer, Jennifer Kaplan, but since I’ve written on this topic before, she asked if I might want to tackle it – Sure.  A few months back, Darren Rowse challenged his readers to create a top ten to follow list to Twitip. As you can see, 192 of us responded with out top ten list folks who Twitter on a wide variety of topics. My list was green.

But, I’ve had a chance to think about it some more.

Trying to determine how to best build your list of followers can be a challenge and a raging argument is going on right now with the Twitterati on quality versus quantity. Is it better to follow lots of people and have lots of followers or does the quality of the follower matter?

[social_buttons]

As a marketing guru, I lean toward quality. I tweet almost everyday and I’ve set up Twitter accounts for several clients and have carefully managed which people we follow; at what rate we gain followers and how closely they match the target market we are attempting to reach.

Why?

The reason quality matters is your ability to reach out to your target audience is limited by how many of their tweets you see. If you follow random people, those tweets to which you might want to respond get lost in the masses of tweets you receive. (In some ways the 2000 followers limit on Twitter is a good thing.)

So, if you’re looking for green folks to follow on Twitter, take a minute and consider, what sort of green people should I be following?

Twittergrader lists the most influential Twitters using the key word, “green”. But then again, there you have a hodgepodge of healthy living, green tech and green business folks, including (yours truly, @mcmilker), @ecochildsplay and @ greenoptions. Actually, quite a few Green Options writers are on this list.

What you really want is a list of people to follow that meets your particular needs.

Are you interested in activism? Try following:

@ Michael_Hoffman, @WomenWhoTech, @greenwash,

How about green parenting? Try following:

@greenmom, @ecochildsplay, @greenmoms and @organicmania

@ thesmartmama, @lamamanaturale, @ greenmommy, @ mamagoesgreen

Maybe green media? Try following:

@sustainablog, @greenoptions, @maxgladwell, @ greennews,@ gogreentube,

@treehugger, @grist

Or perhaps green business? Try following:

@mcmilker (That’s me!), @ greenskeptic, @ greensmith, @ entregreeneur, @ecoofficegals

How about Green tech

@ alexismadrigal,@ tomraftery,@ scobleizer

Regardless of your approach to green, there are Twitter streams out there that will interest you.

Now I’ve given you a lot more than 10 people to follow. It’s your turn. Who writes your favorite green Tweets?

Update: I hadn’t even published this list, but mentioned I was working on it on Twitter, @choosespun, @a_willow and a few others have already responded! The power of social media!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

About the Author

Hear Maryanne speak on Social Media for Socially Conscious Brands at Expo East on September 27th! Maryanne Conlin is CPG brand marketer and digital marketing expert, CEO of RedRopes Digital and Partner Digital Strategy, 4GreenPs. A Shorty Award winner for best Green Content on Twitter, she was a member of the IAA team that won the Green Award in 2010 and most recently was a finalist for the PRSA - Los Angeles PRISM awards for social media. She and her team focus on providing strategic marketing direction, custom content for web, mobile and social platforms, social media community management and online promotions and digital advertising solutions for companies in the green, food and Hispanic space. Follow her on Twitter @maryanneconlin

31 Responses to Top 10 in Green You Should Follow on Twitter

1. Chat with SuperEco at http://twitter.com/supereco, or find our feed at http://twitter.com/supereconews. We’d love to hear from you!

2. I love these lists – nothing beets a recomendation when choosing new followers. I’ll have to make time to go through it latrer.

I did something similar a while ago over on ‘dot.green’. you can see it here: http://tinyurl.com/58n33t

3. As I have written before Twitter rocks. It is the best way to keep up to date with the people and organizations you care most about. Best way by far for breaking news.

Great article MC.

FYI, we tweet here: http://twitter.com/ProformaGreen

4. John Platt says:

Good list. Would have been easier to use if you’d hyperlinked the names, but I’ll still use this to find a few to add.

5. Thanks for including TreeHugger! Agree w/ John Platt that it’d be great if these were all hyperlinked, but happy to be included regardless!

-Chris Tackett

6. Hey,

I’d like to speak with you about this blog. I’ve been doing some research for my own site and would like to share an interesting blog idea with you. Get back to me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks!
    -Josh

7. how about green Fashion?? @ecofashionista!!

8. Ruth Smith says:

Great list…would love to see more about green gardening!

9. Thanks for the ideas Kelly!

I like @ecofashionista for green fashion, as well as, @sprig. What others do you recommend for eco fashion?

Our own @feelgoodstyle just signed up for Twitter too!

10. Anna says:

Green decorating @sprig, @greenyourdecor, and @ecofabulous, @greentalk. Green building @jetsongreen, @greentalk.

There is even a garden group as well which I am member and follow Ruth above. How many days until Spring?

11. FN says:

For more of a corporate sustainability angle (my particular interest) I like:

@asheen – Green entrepreneurship prof at Babson
    @digg_enviro – Social links from Digg’s green channel
    @WholeFoods – The store
    @nearwalden – David Douglas, Sun’s Chief Sustainability Officer
    @lamarguerite – Activist or sorts
    @CSR_Trend_Watch – Select stories from CSR Wire
    @triplepundit – By the folks at TriplePundit.com

and, of course, yours truly:

@viridus – green business focused

I also use http://news.virid.us/ which is Digg-style green business news categorized by job function.

12. Pingback: Top 10 in Green You Should Follow on Twitter | The Green TKR

13. Christy Funk says:

First of all congrats on your award!! I have to say I am so confused about Twitter. I have gotten the grasp on FaceBook and have found it to be tremendously helpful. I am not techno-savvy and Twitter does not seem like it “does” anything?! I have just joined Twittermoms and would like to actually figure it out. Any tips?

Rachel Sarnoff of Eco Stiletto just did a lecture at Belly Sprout. I love her blog!

14. Pingback: Top "Who You Should Follow On Twitter" Lists | The Blogger Source

15. Pingback: The Top Ten ‘Top Ten Lists’ From Green Options Media : Ecoscraps

16. Pingback: Tweeting Green- 4 Strategies for Raising Your Green Profile. : Ecopreneurist

17. WOW! Thanks for the honorable mention!
    I would also add @thegreenparent and @thegoodhuman to the list

18. Jen,

@greenparent I believe is included on our list of green parents to follow on Twitter – Jenn Savedge is great as is David – @goodhuman

19. James says:

@howyoueco 1,600+ followers looking for the people, products and practical ways to go greener at home,work and play

20. Pingback: Tweeting Green- 4 Strategies for Raising Your Green Profile. | Eco Friendly Mag

21. Pingback: Tweeting Green A Strategic Approach « mcmilkergroup

22. Leslie May says:

Great list, thank you! If you have a dog, check out @raiseagreendog

23. Pingback: 10 Ways to Change the World Through Social Media : Ecopreneurist

24. thanks for all these great “green” twitter’ers to follow… good info on here.

do you think you would consider us for the list? not top ten obviously but we just really want to make a difference out here and get people thinking for them selves and not just being marketed to… we are disappointed in how out of hand this waste is getting :(

thanks again for this great info!

25. Pingback: Twitter For Trees : Ecopreneurist

26. Laura Klein says:

If you would like a reliable source on all things organic please follow http://www.Twitter.com/OrganicAuthorit

27. Pingback: The Ultimate List of People To Follow on Twitter - Media Sosial

28. Charles says:

If you are interested in green tweets from the greenest city in america – Portland, Oregon… I would add @molfamily to the list. He produces the Energy Trust Better Living Show which is the largest sustainable lifestyle event in the Northwest.

29. Pingback: EcoLocalizer

30. Pingback: #Hashtags for Tweeting a Greener World « Pull The Root, Plant the Seed